Chapel Hill Treehouse

A decidedly mixed bag of musings by andrew reynolds, professor of political science at UNC Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Pickler Goes...shock

Well truthfully I am surprised...despite two weeks of avoiding 60% of the notes plus the disastrous hair choice yesterday, I still thought the Eastern Carolina coastal vote would carry her through. Mind you, in the face of much naysaying (later retracted by Mr.Cowell) and the derision of my closest friends and family Mcpheever still managed to place in the top two. This bodes well - her constituency is solid and need not be redistricted - I also see some Pickler votes crossing over to Katie M (especially if she discovers a folsky grandpa and forgets her bourgeoise background). AND there were 47.5 million votes this week. I'm trying to recall national elections which have bigger votes? Sure 122 million turned out in the last US Presidential, 110 in Indonesia, 389 million in India, but there were only 47.2 million in the last German Bundestag election, and a paltry 23 million odd in the UK. This weeks popular referendum has got to make the top ten. Pickler no doubt received more votes than Allende, de Gaule, and Churchill (but I'm guessing).

3 Comments:

At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Wendy said...

You know I adore you, and I am especially attracted to your legs, but what would you say if I said that blogs are incredibly self-indulgent and that instead of writing to yourself on your porch you could take over some of the household chores and help your wife get tenure? Or, better yet, you could take over some of my household chores (well, really, I don't do very many household chores, but you could do something for me) and help me get tenure?

Ok, so who's being self-indulgent now, you rightly ask.

No one's going to read this, right? We're just writing to ourselves here?

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Wendy, yet again said...

Ohmygod, I could go on all night!! This stuff is addictive! The power of self-publishing (even if it is heavily censored)! Ironically, it will turn out that more people read my comment to your blog than have ever read my academic work (won't actually take many to read this for that to happen). Will I get hate mail for being a grouchy feminist?

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous John said...

Ignore my wife. But, of course, if you do, you are ignoring a full 50% of your readership. It's a conundrum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home